What Is 211?
During this dangerous Winter Weather you may hear "call 211" a lot. So, what exactly is 211?
2-1-1 is an emergency help line provided by United Way. One of the most needed resources that this service is providing for Michigan right now would be info on local warming stations. You can also find help with many other things according to HelplineCenter.org,
- Basic Human Needs Resources – including food and clothing, shelters, housing, utility assistance.
- Disaster Response and Recovery – works with the emergency management team during a disaster to offer support and place for dissemination of information.
- Mental Health and Health Resources – including counseling, support groups, drug and alcohol treatment, health insurance programs, Medicaid and Medicare, maternal health resources, health insurance programs for children, medical information lines, clinics, and hospitals.
- Employment Supports – including job training, employment services, transportation assistance and education programs.
- Older Adults and Persons with Disabilities – including adult day care, community meals, respite care, home health care, transportation and homemaker services.
- Children, Youth and Family Support – including child care, after school programs, educational programs for low income families, family resource centers, and recreation programs, mentoring, tutoring and protective services.
- Volunteer Opportunities and Donations – Individuals who wish to donate time, goods or money to community organizations can find this information by dialing 211.
In fact, Wood TV 8 says 2-1-1 can get you help with your heating bills during this State of Emergency in Michigan,
As a winter deep freeze grips Michigan, officials say resources are available to help pay heating bills and keep utility costs under control.
The state Public Service Commission provides $50 million for heating through the Michigan Energy Assistance Program. A number of community agencies around the state can help with applying for the funds. Call 211 for assistance.
Please be careful during this record breaking cold snap!