Take A Tour Of Historic Area Of St. Joseph County
On Saturday April 13th, the St. Joseph County Historical Society of Michigan will host a first of its kind program titled "St. Joe on the Road". At 10:00 a.m., the public is invited to a rare, behind the scenes tour of the Sturgis Dam. Those who wish to attend are asked to meet at Covered Bridge Park in Centreville. John Griffith will discuss the history of the bridge and how the Sturgis Dam has affected the water levels. Then guests will caravan through Langley Covered Bridge to the Sturgis Dam. John will explain the building of the Dam and take attendees inside the Dam to see the machinery generating electricity. He will even lead the group out on the top of the Sturgis Dam itself.
The covered bridge is the longest of Michigan's remaining covered bridges. The Langley Covered Bridge is 16 feet high and 19 feet wide. It has three spans of 94 feet each for a total length of 282 feet. The bridge was built in 1887 using the best Michigan white pine available for the frame timbers. When the Sturgis dam was constructed in 1910, the Langley covered bridge had to be raised eight feet.