Roofsit for the Homeless Starts Friday
Thirteen years ago, during a meeting at the Battle Creek Radio Stations on Golden Avenue, the staff were talking about the next project to do for the community. One of the morning show personalities on 104.9FM came up with the idea: “Let’s do a roof sit to raise money for the homeless shelter.” So far, the effort has raised nearly a half-million dollars and we’re still at it!
This Friday, June 21st, the WBCK Morning Show with Tim Collins, Heather McGregor, Brandon James, Nico Berrios and Lacy James will take to the airwaves live from the roof of Sunshine Toyota on the Magnificent Motor Mile in Battle Creek. The goal has been set at $70,000.
The broadcasters work all day on Friday and Saturday, encouraging people to phone in at 441-0075. Volunteers from Elwell Salon and Redline Volleyball Club will be on the roof answering phones.
“We’ve done the Roofsit at six different locations“, said Tim Collins, 95.3 WBCK Morning Show Host and Operations Manager at Townsquare Media. “We started at the Haven of Rest downtown, an even did it on top of a Behnke semi-trailer one year. This year we’re really happy to be in the Magnificent Motor Mile on Dickman Road, on top of Sunshine Toyota. Gary Minneman, Jr. has been a great supporter of the event in the past and thought it would be fun to host it.
Inasmuch House serves women and one or two parent families with children who are experiencing the crisis of homelessness, providing emergency shelter, meals and services to help families get back on their feet and back into permanent housing. Executive Director Daniel Jones says last year the Inasmuch House shelter provided over 10,000 bed nights and over 15,800 meals. He says the goal this year amounts to about a quarter of the shelter’s annual operating budget. Services are provided through Inasmuch and the Haven of Rest in a Christian, Faith-based atmosphere to any and all with a need in our community.
Pray for good weather!
- Who: 95.3 WBCK, 104.9 The Edge, Inasmuch House Volunteers, and Sunshine Toyota.
- What: Raising $70,000 during the 13th Annual Roofsit to Benefit the Haven of Rest’s Inasmuch House.
- When: June 21st and June 22nd from 6am-6pm each day
- Where: Up on the Roof at Sunshine Toyota, 1355 W Dickman Rd, Battle Creek, MI 49037
- Why: Inasmuch House is Calhoun County’s only shelter for homeless families,
How: Call 441-0075 to donate, or you can drop a donation in the bright green buckets at one of more than a dozen volunteer brigade locations around town. Or donate on line using Paypal by clicking here.
Other related activities and events:
- The Men's Life Recovery Program Car Wash is Friday and Saturday from
9am to 5pm at the Haven of Rest, 148 East Michigan across from the Justice
Center. It's only $5 for wash and an inside-the-car vacuum and detail - the
best deal in town!
- Hot dogs are being grilled outside the Sam's Club Entrance on
Beckley Road, from 11am to 5pm, with proceeds going to the Roofsit.
- WBCK’s Dr. Ron VanRyswyk will host the Animal Talk Show live from the Roof.
- WBCK's Bob Coward will host the Garden Show live from the Roof.