How To Know If The Southwest MI Weather Has Made You Sick
Heat Stroke symptoms can take you by surprise, with this heat you need to be aware
With excessive heat crashing on Michigan this weekend, we all need precautions in place to stay safe. We all need to drink plenty of water, stay out of the sun and not exert ourselves to much when outside. If we don't take of ourselves, we put ourselves in danger of having heat stroke.
Sign's of Heat Stroke according to Mayoclinic.org...
- High body temperature. A core body temperature of 104 F (40 C) or higher, obtained with a rectal thermometer, is the main sign of heatstroke.
- Altered mental state or behavior. Confusion, agitation, slurred speech, irritability, delirium, seizures and coma can all result from heatstroke.
- Alteration in sweating. In heatstroke brought on by hot weather, your skin will feel hot and dry to the touch.
- Nausea and vomiting. You may feel sick to your stomach or vomit.
- Flushed skin. Your skin may turn red as your body temperature increases.
- Rapid breathing. Your breathing may become rapid and shallow.
- Racing heart rate. Your pulse may significantly increase because heat stress places a tremendous burden on your heart to help cool your body.
- Headache. Your head may throb.
If someone is experiencing a heat stroke here is what you need to do...
- Call 911
- Get the person out of the sun and into the shade
- Take off all excessive clothing
- Cool the person with whatever means available — put in a cool tub of water or a cool shower, spray with a garden hose, sponge with cool water, fan while misting with cool water, or place ice packs or cold, wet towels on the person's head, neck, armpits and groin.
There are high risks if you suffer from heat stroke...
- Vital organ damage. Without a quick response to lower body temperature, heatstroke can cause your brain or other vital organs to swell, possibly resulting in permanent damage.
- Death. Without prompt and adequate treatment, heatstroke can be fatal.
Being outside in the summer is lovely but it is not worth risking your life for.