10 Things You Might Not Know About MLK Jr
Today is Martin Luther King Jr. Day when we remember the extraordinary life of one of if not the greatest civil rights leader in our nation's history. Most of us learned about Dr. King in conjunction with his "I have A Dream" speech in Washington D.C. One of the many other things that stand out for me is his relationship with then President Johnson and how much LBJ counted on MLK when crafting the Civil Rights Act. Of course, there were a few negative disclosures after he was assassinated but we won't get into those today.
Instead, let's look at some of the random interesting facts about the man that many people don't know from our friends at msn.com. Here are my top 10:
10. King was thrown in jail nearly 30 times.
9. Foreign cities honor his life and legacy.
8. King entered college at age 15.
7. King's birth name was Micheal. His father later changed his own name and then his son's.
6. King's honeymoon included a stay at a funeral parlor.
5. King's mother was also shot to death.
4. King was nearly assassinated 10 years before his death.
3. King is the youngest male to receive the Nobel Peace Prize at the age of 35.
2. King allegedly attempted suicide at a young age12 after his grandmother's death.
1. King was a Trekkie. He even convinced Nichelle Nichols who played Lt. Uhurua to stay on the show.
Get more info by clicking HERE.