Kids Smoking Leads to Battle Creek Garage Fire
A garage suffered major damage after a fire Tuesday morning in Battle Creek.
Battle Creek firefighters responded to the first block of South Wabash Avenue just before Noon, where a detached garage had caught fire. The garage faces Perry Street, just off of South Wabash. The home is owned, but not currently occupied.
The flames were put out quickly with just one line. There were not a lot of items inside the garage before the fire started. Roughly $5,000 in damage was caused with the wood framed structure sustaining severe damage. The garage also has been condemned due to the fire.
Investigators believe the fire was accidental, as kids in the neighborhood admitted to the fire due to careless smoking.