How the World has Changed Since the Last Detroit Lions Playoff Win
The Detroit Lions are playing with confidence, finding ways to win and own first place in the NFC North. Yes, the Detroit Lions.
The Lions still have work to do to get to the playoffs, but the opportunity is there.
Here’s a look at how the world has changed since the last time the Lions won a playoff game.
It’s been a while.
The last time the Detroit Lions won a playoff game was January 5, 1992. The Lions beat the Cowboys 38 – 6 then lost to Washington 41 – 10 in the NFC Conference Championship.
Will the Lions win a playoff game this season? The jury is out. The New York Times lists “eight reasons the Lions won’t win a playoff game,” but Sports Illustrated feels a little more optimistic ranking the Lions as the sixth-best team in the NFL.
Here’s a look at some of the differences between then and now:
- George H. W. Bush was President of the United States.
- John Engler was Michigan’s governor.
- John H. Logie just began his first term as mayor of Grand Rapids.
- Johnny Carson was host of The Tonight Show.
- Late Night With David Letterman aired on NBC.
- Not yet born: 21 players on the Lions’ current roster, Miley Cirus, Selena Gomez, Sam Smith, Kate Upton.
- Atari 2600 discontinued just days earlier.
- The West Michigan Whitecaps and the Grand Rapids Griffins didn’t exist, but the Grand Rapids Hoops did.
- AT&T released a video-telephone for $1,500.
- Crystal Pepsi was introduced weeks later.
- Van Andel Arena and Rivertown Crossings Mall were not built.
- Donald Trump made a cameo in Home Alone 2.
- TV shows which debuted in 1992: Dateline NBC, Barney & Friends, Melrose Place, Hangin’ With Mr. Cooper.
- TV shows which ended in 1992: Growing Pains, Who’s The Boss, The Cosby Show, The Golden Girls, MacGyver, Night Court.
Grayflannelsuit.net shares the nation’s top movies, albums and singles from the week of January 5, 1992.
- Father of the Bride
- The Prince of Tides
- Beauty and the Beast
- Nirvana Nevermind
- Garth Brooks Ropin’ the Wind
- Hammer Too Legit to Quit
- U2 Achtung Baby
- Michael Jackson Dangerous
- Michael Jackson Black or White
- Color Me Badd All 4 Love
- Mariah Carey Can’t Let Go
- Boyz II Men It’s So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday
- Hammer 2 Legit 2 Quit