UPDATE: Two Dead At Central Michigan University Shooting
12 Noon Press Confrence
CMU staff and police shared the following:
- Event took place around 8:30 at Campbell Hall, part of the Towers residential hall complex.
- The situation involves a domestic dispute.
- The two people killed were not students, faculty or staff of CMU.
- Campus is currently on lockdown.
- Comfort Inn on Mission Street is a gathering location for parents coming to campus to pick up students for spring break.
- Suspect was last seen running north from "The Towers."
- Suspect has removed clothing from along the railroad that runs through campus.
- Mount Pleasant police believe the suspect is within the city limits.
- CMU police say they had contact with the suspect last evening (Thursday) and was taken to an area hospital
Police are not confirming media reports that the two victims are the suspects parents.This is now confirmed.
Final Update: The suspect is in custody.
The Detroit Free Press has new reporting on the victims and suspect:
Two non-students were shot and killed, according to Michigan State Police and Central Michigan University. Police believe the situation stemmed from a domestic situation. There are no other injuries.
The person of interest is James Eric Davis, Jr. He is a black male, approximately 19 years of age, 5'10" and 135 lbs. He was last seen wearing mustard colored jeans and a blue hoodie, according to a tweet from the City of Mt. Pleasant. He is considered armed and dangerous.
Campus newspaper CM Life reports the suspect is a student
UPDATE FROM MLIVE AT 10:42: Two people reported dead in Central Michigan University shooting
UPDATE FROM CENTRAL MICHIGAN LIFE FB PAGE: At 9:29 a.m. CMUPD issued a second Central Alert. Person they are seeking is still on campus. They advise students and staff to seek safety and stay there.
According to FOX 17, Central Michigan University Police sent out an alert of possible shots fired at Campbell Hall on the campus of Central Michigan University at around 9 a.m.
Central Michigan Life's Facebook page posted confirmation which you can see here, stating " CMUPD receive a call about what they say sounded like shots fired on the fourth floor of Campbell Hall. Please stay clear of the area. Police issued a Central Alert call to students and staff at 9:02 a.m." According to a news editor at Central Michigan on the comments feed, police say the shooter is still on campus.
Western Michigan University, who has student athletes on campus, say the men's basketball team is safe.