16 people from a local addiction recovery facility were evacuated due to carbon monoxide poisoning Wednesday morning.

Battle Creek firefighters responded to A Forever Recovery, just off of North Avenue around 7:30am, where a patient was suffering from seizures. As the crew approached, carbon monoxide monitors were triggered and the evacuation began, which included the shut off of gas by Semco Energy.

Several workers and patients complained of headaches and were taken to Bronson Battle Creek for treatment.

Fire investigators believe that a faulty furnace was the cause.