12th Annual Roofsit Friday and Saturday: Goal $60,000
Twelve years ago, during a meeting at the Battle Creek Radio Stations on Golden Avenue, the staff were talking about the next project to do for the community. It was Kelley Parish, morning show personality on 104.9FM came up with the idea: “Let’s do a roof sit to raise money for the homeless shelter.” More than a decade later, and more than $400,000, we’re still at it!
This Friday, June 22rd the WBCK Morning Show with Tim Collins, Heather McGregor, Brandon James, and Nico Berrios will take to the airwaves live from the roof of Mancino’s Pizza & Grinders, in front of the Meijer on West Columbia. The goal has been set at $60,000 to fund "Inasmuch House", Calhoun County's place for homeless families. . WBCK Listeners, and fans of "Free Beer & Hot Wings" on "104.9 The Edge" will be asked to contribute what they can to fund the shelter.
Parish will be back to help out doing reports over the airwaves, as the broadcasters work all day on Friday and Saturday, encouraging people to phone in at 441-0075. Volunteers from Elwell Salon and Red Line Volleyball will be on the roof answering phones.
“We’ve done the Roofsit at five different locations“, said Tim Collins, 95.3 WBCK Morning Show Host and Operations Manager at Townsquare Media. “We started at the Haven of Rest downtown, an even did it on top of a Behnke semi-trailer one year. This year we’re really happy to be back on the building in front of the Meijer on West Columbia. It used to be ‘Your Local Yarn Shop’ but now Dan and Kelly Frever have renovated it and moved their ‘Mancino’s Pizza & Grinders’ there. They’re hometown business people and never hesitated to get behind the event.”
Inasmuch House serves women and one or two parent families with children who are experiencing the crisis of homelessness, providing emergency shelter, meals and services to help families get back on their feet and back into permanent housing. The Inasmuch House last year served over 450 men, women and children in our community, and expects to have a similar number this year. Services are provided through Inasmuch and the Haven of Rest in a Christian, Faith-based atmosphere to any and all with a need in our community.
Pray for good weather!
- Who: 95.3 WBCK, 104.9 The Edge, Inasmuch House Volunteers, and Mancino’s Pizza & Grinders.
- What: Raising $60,000 during the 12th Annual Roofsit to Benefit the Haven of Rest’s Inasmuch House.
- When: June 22nd and 23rd from 6am-6pm each day
- Where: Up on the Roof at Mancino’s Pizza & Grinders, 2171 West Columbia; Dan and Kelly Frever own the store.
- Why: Inasmuch House is Calhoun County’s only shelter for homeless families.
- How: Call 441-0075 to donate, or you can drop a donation in the bright green buckets at one of more than a dozen volunteer brigade locations around town. Or donate on line using Paypal by clicking here.
Other related activities and events:
- Hot dogs are being grilled outside the Sam's Club Entrance on
Beckley Road both days from 11am to 5pm, with proceeds going to the Roofsit.
- The Men's Life Recovery Program Car Wash is Friday and Saturday from
9am to 5pm at the Haven of Rest, 148 East Michigan across from the Justice
Center. It's only $5 for wash and an inside-the-car vacuum and detail - the
best deal in town!
- Drive One For Your Community! Test drive a car Saturday 10am-2pm at Lakeview Ford-Lincoln on Dickman Road and Washington, and Ford will give $20 to the Roofsit---up to a total of $6000!
- WBCK’s Dr. Ron Van Rysyk will host the Animal Talk Show live from the Roof.
- WBCK's Bob Coward will host the Garden Show live from the Roof.
- 104,9 the Edge jocks Dana Marshall, Fly, and Mark Frankhouse will be there, along with WBCK's Heather McGregor.
- Special guest and business leaders will be up to support the effort.